Friday, July 30, 1999

Vanessa Looks Back

Vanessa Looks Back - gnvnes1.jpg

Not a nude, but still erotic-- at least to me. 8^D*

A few years ago, I was waiting around for a pair of replacement glasses, enjoying the impressionistic view afforded by myopia and astigmatism, when a young woman strolled by-- in the most incredibly orange and magnificently form-fitting knit dress imaginable. Well, those photons pretty much whacked me upside the visual cortex. Sooner or later, I had to draw her.

With thunderstorms in the area last night, I reverted to using a back-up graphics tablet: cellulose substrate and graphite stylus. (Now if I could just figure out where the dang scrolling controls are!) Anyway, after scanning in the sketch today, I did a quick color test, painting in some solid areas underneath the pencil layer. The Results: "Whoa! This is interesting..."

So, I did a slower color test, and some very minor cleanup of the pencil layer, mostly around the face. I know a lot of folks here enjoy the energy of a still-rough pencil sketch (I sure do)-- so I figured, what the heck, let's post it.

The cropping is due to running off the edges of the paper. If I had been working digitally, I would have just glued more virtual canvas on. In hindsight, I'm glad I couldn't: I rather like the way she divides up the picture plane.

I'll definitely return to this character-- I may even try a more polished version of this image. Purists, don't worry: I use version numbers.

Three more in the to-do queue...

Gnabbist

No comments: